- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is a framework for organizing systems and practices that focus on creating a positive and supportive school culture for all.
- PBIS is a decision-making framework that guides selection, integration and implementation of the best evidence-based academic and behavioral practices for improving important academic and behavior outcomes for ALL students.
- This three-tiered model focuses heavily on school-wide core features (Tier I), which are in place at our school and are available to all students at all times.
- PBIS schools organize their evidence-based behavioral practices and systems into an integrated collection or continuum in which students experience supports based on their behavioral responsiveness to intervention.
Last year, our campus was awarded the bronze award from the California PBIS Coalition for the implementation of the PBIS process in Tier 1, which is school wide. With a common language, teacher and student buy-in and universal values of peace and unity, our school was recognized for their hard work. Our tier 1 implementation includes:
- A common language: W.A.V.E Work Together, Act Responsibly, Value your Community and Empower yourself and others.
- Splash Tickets which are handed out for a chance to win prizes like an extra recess, popsicle with the principal, donuts with the dean, and a "get out of the mile" pass, just to name a few.
- A behavior matrix for teachers and students to have a clear understanding of expected behavior around the campus.
This year we are starting Tier 2 implementation, which is targeted for students who need more one on one support. Students will be invited to check in and check out with select campus staff. Students will have a check-in check-out sheet that they will get to take home for parents to view so you can support our process here at school. If you have questions about PBIS, email Jenie Tice, Dean of Students at email@example.com.